Clientèle : Special Education students in elementary school level.
Personne responsable : Nina Wong
EMSB, école Gardenview
Based on a review of the psycho-educational evaluations and language assessments on file at Gardenview School, there is a need for a systematic phonics program (phonelogical awareness). This prgram targeted students with special needs (such as auditory processing difficulties) and their resource teachers and language arts teachers.
Special Education : Project involved students with special needs, resource teachers and specialists. Adapting the students’ Individual Education Plans.
Experiment : The Jolly Phonics techniques by Sue Lloyd were used to develop a digital phonics book. The digital phonics book was used to teach the main 42 sounds of English to students with special needs (codes 02, 12, 50)
Results obtained :
1) Students with special needs were taught the main 42 sounds of English. They were instructed on the stages of blending sounds to form words and then to reading and writing.
2) A resource tool was developed for the resource teachers and language arts teachers.
3) A take home resource was made available to parents.
4) St.Paul Elementary School (Sir Wilfred Laurier School Board) was given a copy of the digital phonics book to test with their students.
special needs of gardenview school : tageted the students with special needs (codes 02, 12, 50 ) on iep’s (individual education plans) and the at risk students on iap’s (individual action plans).
1) the digital phonics book was used to promote phonics in a hands-on and visual approach ideal for students with learning difficulties such as auditory processing difficulties.
2) elements specific to gardenview community : the get (gardenview educational tutorial ) program run by volunteer parents, retired teachers and community members for the past 10 years used the digital phonics book with the "at risk" students at the school.
Objectives obtained for this project :
1) A digital phonics book was completed
2) Jolly Phonics program was promoted
3) A resource tool for future Special Education use was produced
4) A copy of the digital phonics book was shared with St.Paul Elementary School (Sir Wilfred Laurier School Board)
1) the digital phonics book on the white board
2) a resource tool for the get volunteers
3) take home remedial program in language arts
4) library resource made available on loan to other schools
Expected results :
1) Students with special needs will be taught the main 42 sounds of English.
With this knowledge they will be taken through stages of blending sounds to form words and then to reading and writing.
2) Production of a resource tool to be used by resource teachers and language arts teachers in the future.
3) Take home resource for parents.
4) Sharing of resource tool with students and teachers at St.Paul Elementary School ( Sir Wilfred Laurier School Board)
Results obtained :
1) Regular and special needs students were taught the 42 main sounds of English in the Jolly Phonics program.
Exposure noted to stages of blending sounds to forming words and then to reading and writing .
2) DVD Jolly Phonics program was created and used by the resource teachers and language arts teachers.
Copy of the DVD was place in Gardenview School’s Professional Library for future use.
3) Opportunity for parents to take home the DVD Jolly Phonics was made available.
4) Copy of the DVD Jolly Phonics was sent to St.Paul Elementary School ( Sir Wilfred Laurier School Board ).
1) French version of the DVD was also produced as a bonus to the project.
The following were requested from the participants :
1) Instuctional organizer
2) Questionnaire forms
3) Self-evaluation sheets
6) Portfolio Assessment
7) IEP updates
8) Feedback meetings for 2009-10
Yes the timetable was respected from October 2008 to May 2009.
October 2008 : organization meetings with resource team and specialists.
November and December 2008 : activities involving Jolly Phonics
January to April 2009 : Filming of the digital phonics book
May 2009 : Showcase the production, evaluation of the project.
1) Lack of time within the bilingual setting to work at a leisure pace with the students was a negative.
2) Release time for the teachers to work with the students was positive.
Mr.Brian Seltmann ICT consultant at PED Services with the EMSB.
He supported the Gardenview teachers by providing technology support.
He provided the equipment loans ( IBook and cables)
Mrs.Maureen Baron (EMSB PED Services Consultant for Portal use.
She was contacted to help us host the project on the EMSB Portal in the fall 2009.
Recommendation to purchase the Jolly Phonics program.
Openeness to share experiences with other teachers in other schools via emails, EMSB Network Meetings, and Triad Meetings.
Copies of the DVD to be made available to the general public on the EMSB Portal.
Demonstration of the use of the DVD in a classroom setting to be available, if requested.